Friday, August 11, 2017

Back to School!



When I was teaching in the classroom full time, seeing back to school supplies in the stores would make me gulp.

The sales foreshadowed the end of summer; a to-do list in which I had barely made a dent, and the beginning of ten months of 24/7 non-stop work, worry and stress.

But there was a bright spot:  I was able to indulge my love of buying new school supplies.

There's something about the rows and rows of gleaming new pencils, full boxes of crayons and markers with none missing, none broken or dried up, and all the caps intact.

Bright, crisp folders unmarked and untorn, all lined up and ready to go.

Glue sticks with caps and actual glue in them.

I knew there would be kids coming into my class who, for whatever reason, wouldn't have all of the supplies they needed.  I took great pleasure in being able to give them what they needed to participate in class on day one.

I didn't consider it my business and didn't care whether they lacked supplies because their parents couldn't afford them, or didn't have time to buy them, or just didn't care enough to make sure the kids were ready.

I loved buying them.  I was fortunate enough to be able to do so.  So I loaded the cart with brand new markers, pencils, colored pencils, paper, folders, glue sticks.  It always made me feel well prepared and super organized to have all of this stuff on hand at the beginning of the year.  I had a bunch of stuff, so this would be a great year!  I would be a super teacher!  Clean slate for everyone!

Now that I'm a substitute, I gaze with longing at the back to school sales.

I have supplies I bring with me as a sub, but they last for years.  So try as I might, I can't find any excuse to binge. I miss it, and feel a little sad that I can't particpate in this yearly ritual.

The beginning of the school year is no longer a huge overwhelming work marathon for me--in fact it's  barely a blip on the screen compared to when I had my own classroom and had to begin putting the room together and planning weeks ahead of time.

So, I guess no back-to-school shopping is not a bad trade-off.

But I still miss it.


No comments:

Post a Comment